Alang is situated on the western cost of Gulf of Cambay near Alang – Sosiya village. It is about 50 km from Bhavnagar. It is covered under extended port limit of Talaja port, as per Government of Gujarat, Ports & Fisheries Dept. Notification dated 8/9/1995.
By road it is linked to Bhavnagar-Veraval State Highway by a two lane all weather asphalt road via. Trapaj (about 10 kms) and also via. Sanodar-Kukad village (about 23 km). The nearest train link is Railway Station, Bhavnagar (55 km). The nearest airport is Bhavnagar.
Alang is the largest ship-recycling yard in the world. Ever since its inception in 1982,it has emerged as one of the choicest ship-scrapping destinations for the ship owners around the world. Hundreds of ships from all over the world find their final resting place in Alang every year.
There are 173 plots to carry out the ship-recycling activities. This activity forms an industry by itself, as it provides around 30,000 jobs in Alang itself and generates steel totaling to millions of tons every year.
From the ecological point of view, it amounts to saving of huge amount of non-cyclic and precious mineral reserves like coal, petroleum etc. Millions of tons of steel is recycled by re-rolling mills.
Many mechanical spares find their applications in one-way or other. Various electrical components hold special value for the fixed set of customers.
It promotes re-usability of products, which are otherwise considered to be scrap.
There are 163 plots in an area ranging from 1350 Sq.m. to 3600 Sq.m. There are 10 for VLCC having area of 6000 Sq.m. Gujarat Maritime Board has l reserved 10 plots for giving for recycling activities on ship to ship basis.
Hazardous Waste Management at Alang Sosia Ship Breaking Yard:
Gujarat Maritime Board based on Engineers India Ltd report and recommendation of the High Power Committee appointed by Hon’ble Supreme Court in WP 657/95 created a “ Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facility” (TSDF) which is authorized by the Gujarat Pollution Control Board under the Hazardous Waste( Management & Handling) Rules vide GPCB/HAZBHV-C-28/05/12431 dated 13th May-2005. The work of operation is outsourced to M/s Gujarat Enviro Protection Infrastructure Ltd, Surat(GEPIL).
GEPIL is in the business of developing an Integrated Common Environmental Infrastructure Projects on Built- Own and Operate basis, in India. The company is promoted by “Luthra Group”- industrial group since 1963, having its primary interests in the field of Textile Processing and Real Estates.
Gujarat Enviro Protection and Infrastructure Ltd (Unit Alang), is operating and maintaining Common Hazardous waste TSDF on behalf of Gujarat Maritime Board, since October’ 2005.The site is constructed and developed by Gujarat Maritime Board. Awarded to GEPIL for Operation and Maintenance through competitive Bidding Process in September’ 2005. Total Notified Area is 7 Hectares. The site situated at Alang Ship breaking yard; the largest ship breaking yard in the world, is designed to collect, transport, Receipt, Store, treat and dispose off wide range of hazardous waste. GEPIL (Alang Unit) is also associated with Sweeping, collection, transportation, treatment and disposal of Municipal wastes generated during the ship breaking activities.
In India, the wastes mentioned in schedule-I and schedule II of Hazardous Wastes (Management & Handling) Rules’ 1989 and as amended in 2000 and 2003 have been categorized as hazardous wastes. GEPIL (Unit Alang) is providing its services to more than 80 industries of region. The facility receives wastes from Ship breaking and Ship recycling industrial sectors.
GEPIL’s expertise in Safe Removal and management of Asbestos and PCB bearing wastes from Ship breaking sector. The procedures adopted for the safe removal of asbestos have been recognized by Supreme Court Monitoring Committee on Hazardous wastes management in India, the Ministry of Environment and other authorities namely the Pollution Control Board, the maritime board and the French Government.
The following units as created by Gujarat Maritime Board is now operated by GEPIL:
* Secured Landfill Cells with Leachate sump and GWM wells
o Cell-1: 43038 cu.m. (dedicated for Asbestos and glass wool Wastes)
o Cell-2: 10,212 cu.m. (dedicated for Other Hazardous Wastes)
o Cell-3: 8723 cu.m. (dedicated for Municipal Wastes)
* Intermediate Storage & Segregation Facility
* Vehicle Cleaning Facility
* Environmental Laboratory
* Transport Vehicle as per CPCB transport Rules
* Weigh Bridge Facility
* Office Building, Computerized Wastes Tracking System
* Incineration Facility (Tie up with TSDF, Surat)
The ship breaking units send their hazardous wastes to this facility for necessary treatment and disposal. Following wastes generated during ship breaking are received, stored, transported, treated and disposed off at the facility.
* Paint chips
* Asbestos bearing wastes
* Glass wool
* Materials Contaminated with oil and chemicals
* Oily sludge
* Contaminated and corroded scraps
* Rubber Gaskets & Isolation Mounting
* PVC & Plastic Waste
* Canvass With Chemical Coating/Chicken Mesh/ Rexine /Card Board
* Cementing Material & Tile/Solidified Cement/Construction With/A C Sheets.
* Other heavy metal bearing wastes
GEPIL follows various treatment and disposal routes depending upon the chemical characteristics of wastes and the disposal criteria fixed by the Central Pollution Control Board of the country. The wastes undergo various combinations of pretreatments, treatments and disposal into secured landfill disposal cells.
* The wastes requiring pretreatments, no treatment and direct disposal
* The wastes requiring direct disposal to secured landfill facility
* The Organic wastes requiring pretreatment, Incineration and disposal of incinerated ash into secured landfill facility
* The Organic wastes requiring no pretreatment, Incineration and disposal of incinerated ash into secured landfill facility
* The wastes requiring pretreatment, solidification and stabilization and or Encapsulation followed by disposal of stabilized/encapsulated mass into secured landfill facility
* The wastes requiring no pretreatment, solidification and stabilization and or Encapsulation followed by disposal of stabilized/encapsulated mass into secured landfill facility.
Integrated Common Hazardous Waste Treatment Storage Disposal facility at Survey no.325/1/1, Village Manar, Near Alang, Taluka; Talaja, Dist: Bhavnagar.
1. Awareness drive through
* Hoardings at strategic locations
* Display of posters
* Occasional screening of film on safety.
2. Training Programme
* Training to safety supervisors and Mukadams
* Audio-visual training to the workers
* Setting up of a modern training cum welfare institute.
* Three days training programme on "Basic Safety Training for All" is being conducted.
3. Safety Evaluation through impartial team
* Three rounds of safety evaluation completed.
* Results conveyed to individual plot holder for improvements.
* Fourth Round of Safety audit will be carried out during 2007-08.
* " Standing Council for Safety measures enforcement at Alang" is formed by Government of Gujarat.
* Accidents are inquired & studied and measures are taken to prevent recurrence of such incidents
1. Intensive job-oriented training.
2. Introduction of partial mechanization.
3. Splitting up macro and micro level cutting.
4. Involvement of experts for undertaking risky operations.
5. Well-conceived multi-pronged safety awareness drive.
Health and Welfare Measures
* Facilities for primary treatment are available at the Red Cross Hospital along with well-equipped burns ward.
* Mobile Medical Van with doctor service.
* A full-fledged hospital is built by a public Trust. Medical treatment will commence shortly.
* Periodical health camp in association with ship breakers.
* Health Awareness project through Bhavnagar Blood Bank in association with Gujarat State AIDS Control Society.
* Organized Health check up camp at Training Institute as well as at the yard.
* Playgrounds for major sports are developed near the site of proposed housing colony.
* Sports Tournaments are occasionally organized.
Alang Suraksha Mahotsava was organised from 4th to 10th 2002
Contact Details for Alang Ship Recycling Yard
I/C Port Officer
Ship Breaking Yard Alang
M. N. Khalyani
Notified Area Officer
Ship Breaking Yard Alang
Near Deepak Talkies
Old Port Road,
Executive Engineer (C)
Near Deepak Talkies
Old Port Road,
Asst. Port Officer
Station Officer (Fire Station- Alang)